Friday, October 19, 2012

Cover Girl Sofia Vergara

After my last post regarding Modern Family, I did a deeper look into actress Sofia Vergara as I have seen many commercials on TV where she is endorsing Pepsi and her K-Mart Clothing Line: Sofia. In my investigation I came across an article I found on Sun Sentinel.com titled, "The Two Sides of Sofia: Superstar or Stereotype," that questioned if Sofia Vergara was a role model for Hispanic women, or a stereotype of Latina women through the roles she embraces as an actress. Her story has inspired many, as she started out as a single mother that worked hard as a model and Spanish-TV host before entering the Hollywood TV scene. However the article reveals that although she may be embracing a stereotypical role on Modern Family, it is exactly that: just a role. Sofia admits in other interviews that she has always faced stereotypes throughout her career and in reality she does hold some truth to those stereotypes by having a voluptuous figure and an overly loud personality.  However I do have to question her TV commercials for Diet Pepsi and K-Mart. Even those may be roles as well, she is still seen continuously as the typical Latina stereotype of a seductress. Since I am half Hispanic, my mother is Mexican, I can understand the frustration felt by other Hispanics at the stereotypical roles that Sofia portrays. It's hard to be take the show and character seriously when they are continually making fun of Latino characteristics. I do just have to remember that it is just a show and that several Caucasian characteristics are also poked fun at within the show. Here is another article that looks at the Latino stereotypes in Hollywood and their impact. I also decided to include the Diet Pepsi Commercial that Sofia Vergara was featured in, in order to show how the Latina Seductress stereotype is revealed.


No comments:

Post a Comment